Nosotros Academy adopts this wellness policy with the following commitments to nutrition, education, and physical activity.
- Nostros Academy will participate in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs. Food served in the school cafeteria will meet all Nutrient Standards established by the USDA. The Nutrition & Wellness department will provide snacks that meet federal nutrition guidelines for after school programs as appropriate.
- Students will be given adequate time to eat lunch.
- In the elementary, middle, and high school, foods served during the school day must comply with the Arizona Nutrition Standards established by the Arizona Department of Education.
- Nosotros Academy will provide a consistent message of nutrition and wellness to all students and parents. This will be accomplished through the use of multi-media: videos, morning announcements, school newspapers/newsletters, websites, etc.
- The school will form a wellness committee to facilitate nutrition education and promote physical activity. This committee will work with the school physical education teachers to coordinate schoolwide wellness activities. The committee will be responsible for submitting an annual summary of wellness activities to the Director of Nutrition & Wellness.
- The Nutrition & Wellness department will provide food safety and handling guidelines for campus activities in the Student Activities Handbook.
School Wellness Policy
- Family nutrition education will be accomplished in the form of handouts, website postings, presentations, school newsletters, etc. Nutrition education will be provided to families of students at all levels (elementary, middle, and high) within the district.
Physical Activity Requirements:
- Physical activity is a critical component of a healthy lifestyle. Schoolbased programs should be implemented to encourage physical activity.
- The high school will also be offered physical education activities.
Policy recommendations are available in the Nosotros Administrative Handbook.
Implementation and Monitoring:
To ensure successful implementation of the Nosotros wellness policy, recourses will be available on the Nutrition & Wellness department website. Director of Nutrition & Wellness will be responsible for monitoring policy implementation and disseminating pertinent information to the school.
Section 204 of Public Law 108-265, the Child Nutrition Act of 2004